Letter to Aunt Nell -


Dec. 10, 1918

Langres - Haute Marne

Francais


Dear Aunt Nell -

I'll begin by saying I write this under personal protest - but - well, I'm a sort of a benevolent old gentleman - so - well - here goes! Frankly - I haven't much to tell - but, I know how bored you'll be so I can't see the harm of doing the job completely.


Needless to say I'm well! If you could see me eat - I'm feeding at the school officer's mess, at 200 odd francs a month - you'd wonder how I ever got away with so many pan - cakes, etc. Oh! we're feeding like kings. And - I sleep extremely comfortable - our hours are from 8 - 11:30 and 1 - 4:30 so we get lots of good exercise - about 2/3 of it all is out - of - doors, so - it's some healthy life.


Then, needless to (?), my suddenly fattened income allows a certain change in dress. I now wear high 16" top English trench boots (moosehide leather), whipcord uniform, the old Sam Browne, Burberry Trench coat, (English & best) fur lined gloves, etc. - so - am I comfortable? well! You should see my line up of footwear! Every day I change - today high topped leather boots, tomorrow down on the range, so - hip rubber wader booys, next day a terrain exercise so it"s Yankee hobnails and woolen puttees [A puttee is a covering for the lower part of the leg from the ankle to the knee, alternatively known as: legwraps, leg bindings, winingas, or Wickelbänder. They consist of a long narrow piece of cloth wound tightly, and spirally round the leg, and serving to provide both support and protection. They were worn by both mounted and dismounted soldiers, generally taking the place of the leather or cloth gaiter], next day inside so light French hiking shoes and Fox spiral puttees, and Sunday russet dress shoes and leather puttees or leather riding boots. Then I have a serge light dress uniform, but - the trench coat is always in style. On rainy days I wear a rubber slicker - on cold days, for active work a woolen overcoat or mackinaw. Then piles of socks, underwear, sweaters, gloves, shirts, fatigue woolen uniforms, towells, etc., etc. My equipment has reached such a capacity that my roll requires 2 men to put it on a truck - as it contains extra clothes, bedding, field equipment, etc. - as I only carry a musette bag  [The musette bag was a light alternative to a full pack used to carry small equipment or personal items during WWI.] with toilet articles, smokes, etc. with me when en route.


My work here at the school is very interesting as I'm specializing to the Nth degree in Intelligence Service, finer points of musketry, Tactics and military specialty branches, If I had decided to stay in the service I could have had a permanent Instructor's job in the Regular Army - and - a first Lieutenant would have been forthcoming very shortly - but - I decided to quit the service so made out my statement to the effect that I desired full & complete separation from the service - when, of course, Uncle Sam is through with my services in the present situation.


So, I'm slated to be discharged sooner or later. I set the date as some time between now and July 1st next.


Well, I'm going up into Germany! My Division is now in Luxemburg and leaves in a day or so for either (?) or Cologne - so - by January 15th I'll be on the Rhine. I leave here about Dec. 22nd - will arrive in Paris Dec. 23rd where I'm stopping over Xmas. From Paris I go by 1st class train to Toul - then Nietz - then into Luxemburg - then up to the Rhine and rejoin my Bn. - with whom I'll again take up my duties in it's service of Intelligence as Battalion Scout Officer - an important & busy job - even though not in battle - I'll leave it to your imagination for the present, to guess my duties.


I mentioned that tonight Prof. Erskine was in the Gov't.'s selection of educators who are to handle the big education plans over here - and Lieut. Joseph Armstrong told me that Erskine is an old friend and frat. brother of his at Columbia. Perhaps you either know Mr. Armstrong or someone who does know him. He belongs to the New England Division - 26th. 


There are some busy weeks ahead of me - as my trip into Germany will be wonderfully full of new adventure, new service, a new foreign tongue to cope with and - more experiences to tell when I come home - some questionable months hence.


How are all your friends at your house? How are things in New York? Did you vote for Smith for Gov? I hope you did - in preference to Whitman. You see, I'm still an old N.Y. guardsman at heart! Ha!Ha! And how's your friends - what was that particularly nice girl's name you once wrote me about?


I'm very ashamed to say I forgot the photograph at my only opportunity to get my picture taken but expect to get into Langres this week and - and - maybe. You see I'm at Fort de Plesnoy (pronounced "Plenwah") some 14 kilos from Langres.


[Fort Plesnoy completed the defence of the entrenched camp of Langres, to the north-east.It is located 12 km north-east of the square and occupies the centre of a 440 m high triangular promontory, which forms the northern end of the ridges between Plesnoy and Montlandon. In order to cover the entire surface of the spur, the fort is surrounded by four batteries supporting each other.Built from 1877 to 1881, the complex completes the eastern line of defense of the Place de Langres between the forts of Dampierre and Cognelot. The ridges of Plesnoy-Montlandon forming a dividing line between the basins of the Meuse, Marne and Saône, the fort offers the defenders of Langres an advance allowing outlets along these valleys.]


Well - must close and get into bed as the fire's gone out and everyone else is asleep but my bunkie, a Nebraska school teacher - officer - and he'd cursing my candle - so - good night - as ever

With much love, / Clyde


More diary entries -


December 11, 1918, Wed., Rain

Had construction of Snipers & Observers posts in a.m. - & games. In p.m. an Intelligence lecture & a talk on Brownings. Wrote Anna & C.A.M. in evening. Bed early. Rain all p.m. & evening.


December 12, 1918, Thurs. Rain

Had a long lecture on Trench Raids in a.m. In p.m. two attack problems under Capt. Hood - old M. & B. capt. Bed early.


December 13, 1918, Frid. Rain.

Lecture & practice in patrol work in a.m. and a big combat problem - some 7 kilos away, in p.m. Lecture in evening, on the job of the B.S.O. (?). Bed at 9:00.


December 14, 1918, Sat. Fair.

 Lecture & practice in panoramic sketching in a.m. & Battalion problem & foot ball game in p.m. Good game. "Katey's" goat surely got. Wrote in evening. Bed quite early.


December 15, 1918, Sun.

Beautiful day - temp. like October in U.S.A. Loafed in a.m. caught Packard to town about 10:30 - Lunched at officers Y restaurant - purchased a wonderful trench coat - 400 fr. Back at 4:30. Good supper. Wrote letters - bed early.


December 16, 1918, Mon. Rain!

Shot on 300+ range in a.m. Very low visibility. Took a 3 1/2 hour hike this p.m. - about 15 kilos - d ---d tough. Read in evening. Bed early.


December 17, 1918, Tues. Rain.

Competition shoot in a.m. I am 3rd on team. Good fun. Bn. attack problem in p.m. Colonel said it was all wrong. Study 7 - 9 p.m. Bed 10:00.


December 18, 1918, Wed. Rain.

Had exams in a.m. Problem in p.m. again - OK.  - then O&S officers sent on a hike for punishment. All hell being raised over it. Colonel refused to admit he was wrong. Bed early. Rain to beat hell.


December 19, 1918, Thur. Some Rain.

Lecture on 37 m/m gun in a.m. Put on a big, complete attack problem in p.m. Meeting at 7 p.m. Very Cold again. Rain.


December 20, 1918, Frid. Cold as hell!

Had a lecture on Stokes Mortar in a.m. (??) Big Bn. support problem in p.m. The Colonel said it was OK. Some rain.


December 21, 1918,  Sat. Fair. Cold.

Turned in equipment in a.m. Passed my exams. - 100 - 100 - 93 & 80 - average 93 1/4%. Packed up in p.m. and loafed. Expect I leave tomorrow. Very cold.


Next up - Another letter and more diary entries -





Comments

Popular posts from this blog