More diary entries -


August 25, 1918, Sun. Fair. Warm

Up at 6 - washed - reveille - good breakfast - wrote letters in a.m. Hiked 3 or 4 miles to a bath house in p.m.  Had a good feed at night - rain in evening. Jerry shelled Watou during evening with long range guns. Bed early.


August 26, 1918, Mon. Rain most of day.

Took my laundry out & had a feed in a.m. and went to town with Harold MacIntyre in p.m. Mac & I talked all evening. Jeal made Battalion observer. Bed about 10:30.


August 27, 1918, Tues., Rain some.

Had sitting up exercises and a bit of drill in a.m. - and an inspection, drill and retreat in p.m. Ray & I went to town for a brush, candy, vin, etc. in evening. Bed rather early.


August 28, 1918, Wed. Rain most of day - cool.

Maj. Gen. O'Ryan inspected us in a.m. and raised particular hell with the C. O. about things in general. C. O. takes it all out on us Sergts! Ha!Ha! Loafed most of p.m. Wrote Peggy in evening - bed at 10:00.


August 29, 1918, Thur.

Up at 1st call. Blue sky - beautiful day - but cool. Wrote a few letters in a.m. Cleaned some equipment, all p.m. Stood retreat and rifle inspection. Talked with Lt. Bragdon about my getting into sniping work - he told me I must stay. Said he really and vitally needed me! So, I'll stick for a while. Am glad to know how I stand.


August 30, 1919, Frid.

Checked equipment, had exercises & cleaned up for inspection this a.m. Drill a bit this p.m. - studied Lewis gun - wrote a few letters. Things are looking good - better for me.


August 31, 1918, Sat. Fine day.

Inspected by Capt. Egan & Colonel De Bevoux. The Col. was very well impressed with my platoon, my record as a platoon commander, and - me! Things look brighter for my military future! had a ball game in p.m. Read, had haircut - reorganized platoon. Wrote a few letters. Bed early. With patrol.


September 1, 1918, Sunday

Left Watou for Oudezeele  [a commune in the Nord department in northern France. It is around 45 km north-west of Lille.] - hiked from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. - less noon hour. Near Cassell. We hear the Boche have retreated from Dickebusch - Kemmell front - several miles. Wonderful day - cool. Henry & I pitched in a field of velvety grass. Hear very promising rumors! Cold night - rifle insp. at 5 p.m.!! Jerry is sure getting hell these days! Jeal & I celebrated. 


September 2, 1918, Mon.

Up at 6. Awful head - hellish hangover. Shaved. Instructed 3rd platoon in Scouting this a.m. Checked my men on equipment and went for my overcoat & blankets in p.m. Henry, Mac & I went out for 8 eggs, coffee, bread & vin in evening. Some feed.


September 3, 1918, Tues.

Had 4th platoon in Scouting this a.m. Expect to move this evening. Loafed and cleaned up from 10:30 a.m. and made ready to move. Henri Marcoux back (?). Counted 73 planes in a flock yesterday a.m. Did not go out, so Henri & I slept beneath a hay stack.


September 4, 1918, Wed. Fair.

Up early. Left our camp between Oudezeele & Cassell 8:30. Hiked by way of Watou & Poperinge [Poperinge in Flemish Belgium is situated about 13 km (8 miles) to the west of Ypres] to Proven [Proven is a rural village in the Belgian province of West Flanders], a rail head since Jerry went back from Kemmell. On train at 3. Hell of a hike. Train passed thru Berques, Dunkirk and Calais at night. Travelled in boxcars. 38 men per car. Deuced [Darned] crowded.


September 5, 1918, Thur.

Awoke in Doullens [The city of Doullens is a french city located in north of France.] - passed thru Bolougne [Boulogne-sur-Mer, often called just Boulogne, is a coastal city in Northern France.] in night. Packed up and hiked out 6 or 8 miles to Beauquesne [Beauquesne ( French pronunciation: [bokɛn]) is a commune in the Somme department in Hauts-de-France in northern France.], beside of which we went into Billet camp. Nearly drowned out by shower. Took wonderful bath in horse trough. Acting Major insulted - culprits found in 4th Platoon, not mine thank gosh. Henry & I have straw in tent - 2 blankets & 2 overcoats each. Some luxury.


September 6, 1918, Frid. Fair.

Up 6:15. Washed & shaved before reveille - excellent bacon bkfst. Wrote Anna & mother. Took my platoon (?) in instruction problem in storming a M.G. nest this a.m. - very successful. Told by Co. C.O. that I have been recommended for the next officers training school. Go up for exam & interview by Col. De Bevoise soon. Heard Harry Lauder this p.m. [a famous Scottish entertainer]. He was wonderful! Sure did cheer & hearten us. Drill a bit - retreat - in town with Henry - Sergt's meeting - a bit o' beer!


September 7, 1918, Sat. Warm

Gave my platoon setting up exercises then went for my medical exam. for the O.T.S. [Officer Training School]. Passed OK and gave dope for my recommendations to the Colonel. Five of us (Devlin, Bliss, McGuire, Turner & Bartro) up. I think 2 are to go. Not me, I'll bet!  Up into town during evening with Markham. Saw "You Know Me Al". [This was a baseball related book by Ring Lardner but can't find a movie version]


September 8, 1918, Sun.

Up for reveille - fixed up and we went up to Regt'l H.Q. Each man was interviewed by the Colonel and sized up. (Col. De Bevoise) No idea how we fared. On Co. C.O.'s recommendation however will decide the whole thing. Had good dinner in town. Rain. Loafed & visited with Harold Smith in p.m. Letters from Yates & Fred Smith. Answ'd in evening.


September 9, 1918, Mon.

N.C.O. meeting & Rain & an hour of drill & Insp. in a.m. Cleared up about noon. Out for a big battle game in p.m. Watched by Col. & Gen. O'Ryan. Went off very good. In town in evening. Rec'd. 7 letters.


September 10, 1918, Tues. Rain.

Sent out to pull off maneuver again in a.m. Got all wet & mud - then went out again to take positions in p.m. More mud. Rec'd my appointment to Training school this a.m. I go! Rec'd 3 letters today. In town with Mac & Jeal in evening. Rain by spells all day. Was congratulated by nearly everyone!


September 11, 1918, Wed. Rained all a.m.

No drill. N.C.O.'s meeting. Wrote few letters & cards. Short drill in p.m. Rain most of p.m. Up town with Jeal & he, Mac & I had supper of milk, eggs, bread, etc. Wrote in evening. Bed quite early.


September 12, 1918, Thur.

Out to see a big tank show this a.m. in pouring rain - seeing them smash barbed wire, etc. Were soaking wet - feet soaked. Changed sox and out in trenches defending a 3 Co. attack maneuver in p.m. N.C.O.'s meeting in evening. Bed early - feel pretty bum. Rained all day long.




Letter to Aunt Nell -


France

Sept. 12, 1918


Dear Aunt Nell -

Your letter of the 3rd of August came a few days ago, & I'm taking an evening to answer it and a few others.


Of course, I've received mail from you long ago, as my recent letters will show you - as well as the papers which, I assure you were appreciated not only by myself - but were read until worn out by the chaps in my company. The Digest and Forest & Stream surely looked good. I have one suggestion - which please accept in the light intended. Whenever you contemplate sending a sportsman's magazine try to get my old favorite Field & Stream instead - will you - please?


Yes, I enjoyed my short stops in Paris and am looking forward to seeing the big city quite often in the next few months as I leave in a day or so for the Officer's Training School and can reach it once in a while over a weekend. Was recommended by my Co. C.O. and went up before the Colonel with four other men and two of us were picked. It's a three month course and at the end - with hard work, etc. - we'll be commissioned Lieutenants in the U.S. Army - so about Xmas I'll be able to write you to address me differently! Ha!Ha! So, you see, my chance has come. Up in Belgium - on that famous Flanders front - I commanded a platoon - and it was a corking good platoon too - and - made good - and now comes opportunity! I'm pretty much elated over it - and as for making good - I'm going to make good with a wallop or break my neck in the attempt!


Address me Sergt. C.G. Bliss. Army Candidates School, A.P.O. 714, A.E.F. Will write you later from there and keep you informed relative to how hard I work, what I study, etc.


Can't tell much about myself or my unit - but - we were in the line - things naturally happened - and aprie le guerre finis - I'll tell you all about it - and there'll be no censor to think about. A fellow has to be very careful and after I'll unthinkingly write a local name and in rereading cut out some dope myself before the censor gets it. We are told to always write as though our letters were all to be read by a German spy - then we can't go far wrong.


Oh! Gee! Yes! I get lots of mail - not a mail comes in but what there are letters for me - from everwheres.


Speaking of Prof. Giddings, I believe I should enjoy his lectures and maybe I can hear him in that year at Columbia - after this show is over.


From the looks of things now - I'm firm in my belief that you'll be too late next summer to do much Red Cross Canteen work over here. If luck continues - the Boche is going to have a very unpleasant winter and well - God help him next spring. We've all the confidence in the world in Foch, Pershing & Haig - so - good bye Jerry next year, anyhow! That's confidence for you, eh? Ha!Ha!


[Ferdinand Foch, (born October 2, 1851, Tarbes, France—died March 20, 1929, Paris), marshal of France and commander of Allied forces during the closing months of World War I, generally considered the leader most responsible for the Allied victory.

General of the Armies John Joseph Pershing GCB (September 13, 1860 – July 15, 1948), nicknamed "Black Jack", was a senior United States Army officer. He served most famously as the commander of the American Expeditionary Forces (AEF) on the Western Front during World War I, from 1917 to 1918.

Field Marshal Douglas Haig, 1st Earl Haig (19 June 1861 – 29 January 1928) was a senior officer of the British Army. During the First World War he commanded the British Expeditionary Force (BEF) on the Western Front from late 1915 until the end of the war. He was commander during the Battle of the Somme, the Battle of Arras, the Third Battle of Ypres, the German Spring Offensive, and the Hundred Days Offensive.]


So the Whitings really hear about me? Do you know - I feel that they must be genuine folks else you would not be so interested in them - and - I've a growing respect for your opinions of Miss Caroline and am really expecting you'll tell me some interesting things about her - and her religion, hobbies, etc. I foresee big obstacles, between ourselves in my future relations with Anna, due to the difference in our faiths - and - well - I'm open to impressions as long as I'm unmarried and not engaged to anyone - and gosh knows I'm not tying myself to anyone until I get old enough & settled enough to decide very carefully! I'm pretty slow, you know, in such matters! Ha!Ha!


Well, Im humped up in a most inhuman position, writing by candle light - it's pretty damp & cold and my pipe is out and my bunkie is asleep so it behooves me to get asleep too - as I'll have to get awake soon enough. 


Hoping to hear from you very soon and may you write much more often than you have been, I'll close - as ever


With much love,

Clyde


My thoughts - I find it interesting that religion has reared it's head and is recognized by Clyde as something that may come between Anna and himself. However, in less than 9 months, Clyde will marry Anna and unbeknownst to either of them his lung disease from being gassed will be taking hold in his youthful body. In a little more than 3 years, he and Anna will have their son, John and in a little less than 6 years, Clyde will succumb to the lung disease that was untreatable. After his death, religious differences will again be at play as the gap between Anna and Clyde's family widens as all communication ceases for nearly 50 more years.


Up next - more diary entries.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog