Letter to Aunt Nell -


France

July 31, 1918


Dear Aunt Nell: -

Just a few lines to let you know I am quite well and feeling as lively as usual, etc.


I probably wouldn't have written you but recently I started on a journey of several days and it occurred to me that it might amuse you to learn how I was equipped by way of commissary supplies. Now you can laugh - and enjoy the situation immensely as you won't ever have to sit in a box car by day, and lay on its floor and "simulate" sleep by night - so here goes: Of course I had my full pack - all my worldly goods - and a peculiarly shaped bag in addition. In that bag were the following - 6 pkgs. of hard tack, 3 cans of corn "willy" (beef), 2 cans tomatoes, a can of jam and a piece of cheese. These I systematically divided into a number of parts equal to the number of days first - then from each day's allotment, arranged my 3 "menus." At different stations I got hot coffee (with a wee bit o' rum, to put one's blood in circulation) and for 60 centimes purchased a loaf of hot French bread. So - in all solemness, I'd sit with my feet out of the side door - and have "luncheon" of a portion of corn willy, a slice of bread camouflaged with jam, and some cheese - aided by H2O from my old canteen. Then - I'd elaborate a bit at night - and add a half can of tomatoes, luxuriously sweetened with some sugar from my condiment can. (Said sugar being secured by bribing a friend of mine in the kitchen!)" Such is the life of a lone soldier journeying across or about France. And - as to the hardtack - hum - well, I put one package away for gravest of emergencies and tossed the rest to "poilus" and "continentals" whom I might see along the road.

[“Poilu” (“hairy one”), the nickname for a French army infantryman, dates back to Napoleonic times, but it is most often used to refer to a French soldier who fought during World War I. From August 1914 until November 1918, poilus bore the brunt of Allied fighting in brutal trench warfare on the Western Front.] 


And - the fun we had trying to sleep! A chap couldn't get in a corner all alone, as he'd freeze anyhow - and - I challenge anyone to go to sleep and wake up in the same spot - in a troop train! Ha!Ha! So we'd estimate how many of us could pack along in a row then we'd lay slickers & shelter halfs on the floor, over some hay we "procured" at a countryside stop, then all laid down at once - on the right side and cover up. Ever hour or so we'd all turn over, to bump the other hip for a while. But - morning would come - I swear, it would be 7:30 before we'd awaken - and out we'd pile with towels, soap, toothbrushes & paste - and before the train would start moving again - we'd be shining clean, have some hot coffee & break - jam inside o' us, and then tidy up our car! If a chap is naturally inclined to be a grouch or a sour grapes maniac - he'd call a trip of that sort a nightmare or a misery - perhaps - but - not so us Yanks in my bunch! We estimated the amount of pleasure we'd get in telling about it - saw a good bit of interesting country and - well - just purely & simply enjoyed by the whole affair - and are none the worse off today.


There's nothing to tell. Have finished my courses of study in the Intelligence works - totaling a week of specializing since coming over - and got the following marks in the 7 examination papers I tried - 60%, 90%, 97%, 98%, 100%, 100%, 100% - or a grand average of 92 1/7%. That one 60% was on a lot of technical (?) covering principles of Range Finders and a certain Telescopic Sight which I never used - so I feel satisfied to get even 60! Ha!Ha! In shooting - the sniping work - I was third man in my class - so haven't all together gone to pieces in the shooting game - considering that several Divisions were represented in the scoring. I was high man from my Division. And my note book - we had to keep very accurate notes - was one of the 18 in a class of 76 marked "Excellent" - as that pleased me some more. When the report comes in on my work, I'll let you know what it said.


Well - will close for this time. Write very often - same old address - (Sergt. C.G. Bliss, Co. M. 107th U.S. Inf. A.E.F.) and soon - as ever - 

With much love, Clyde


Next up - back to more diary entries.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog