[ NOTE: IF YOU ARE READING THIS SERIES FOR THR FIRST TIME, IT'S BEST TO START AT THE BEGINNING]


Jan. 6, 1918, Sun., Chilly. Rained part of day. Cloudy.

Breakfast late. We played cards all a.m. Dinner at 3:00. Rotten eats today. Mud very deep everywheres. Dank day. 


Jan. 7, 1918, Mon., Very cold. Wind very strong.

Had bombing and close order drill this a.m. Am now in charge of platoon. Kiely at bomb school, Toombs at camouflage school, Crowley at bayonet school. Will have platoon for a month, probably. Had advanced guard and out-post work this p.m. My platoon was posted perfect - the only correct one. Complimented by Capt. Special school this evening. Cold night. Bed early. Colder.


Jan. 8, 1918, Tues. Cold. Windy. Freezing.

Had practice march & bayonet work this a.m. Had c. o. [close order] drill also - full co. Went for trench observation this p.m. Bed early. Tired.


Jan. 9, 1918, Wed., Cold. Fair. Sunny.

Marched to town to give the Co. baths this a.m. I had tub bath in Hotel Brooklyn - near YMCA. Back at 12 sharp. Wrote letters & smoked all p.m. Selee & Pelham moved out. Roger Smith in. Barber reduced. Also Clark Marriott.


Letter to Aunt Nell


Camp Wadsworth, SC

January 9, 1918

(Wed. eve.)


Dear Aunt Nell: -


Just received your letter of the sixth yesterday. Went over to the trenches for a complete study of the system - observation practice, it is called. Then last evening it was a choice of answering your letter, along with six or seven others, or playing "rummy" with the tent mates. And as everyone else wanted to play - I played rummy until 10:00 then went to bed! Ha!Ha! And - while I am thinking of it - the personnel of my tent-mates has changed. Sergt's. Pelham and Selee (Don) have gone to training school - to become platoon chiefs (lieut's) assistants. Sgt. MacDonnell has been made Supply Sergt. so now sleeps in the supply tent. So they are now Sergt. Toombs, who is studying applied camouflage, Sgt. Turner, Sgt. McGuire, Barber, who is a corporal - but was reduced today to private, Corp. Roger Smith, formerly a clerk in the Biltmore and Corp. Ruller. Sgt's Turner and myself - who had been been shoved out of all the schools, including platoon sgt. school, camouflage school, bayonet school and bomb & grenade school had commenced to wonder why we had been getting the cold shoulder on all those specialties when many of the men who have been sent are "dubs", even if it sounds like conceit to say it. Today we found out. We have been selected for the automatic rifle school. That means that I will go to learn all about the mechanisms and operation of the French & Browning automatic rifles and Lewis Machine gun, and all the duties of the auto-rifle section in battle. Therefore - I will be commander of that section of the 4th platoon. Now - I will have two of these rapid firing rifles in my platoon. Four 1st class privates will carry & operate them. Then I will have 4 more privates who carry extra ammunition for the guns, and two corporals. I will have, you see, two teams, each team consisting of 2 rifle operators, 2 ammunition carriers and a corp. in charge. The operators will be armed with pistol & trench knife, the amm. carriers will have a rifle each, as will the corporals. The will all have pistols & knives as well. I will carry a sniper's rifle and a pistol. So you see my little command, which is a very independent working one, in action, will have 2 auto - rifles, 7 rifles, 9 pistols, & 9 trench knives or bayonets. You can readily picture the importance of our work in a charge, or resisting an attack. Whenever there is a war of the enemy, beyond reach of hand grenades, I, with my little handful of experts pour in shots at an enormously rapid rate, cutting down and demoralizing them. I have been picked, I presume because I am a big & strong, have a sort o' cool bean [clear thinking] and can think quick. Of course it's sort of an honor to me - and - anyhow, my fellow sergeants are rather envious - as being one of 4 out of 250 men to be picked for the liveliest & riskiest job in the infantry - is a tribute after a fashion. In return, I picked my two realest corporals and eight livest & biggest men.


I presume we will start next week, and later when I have learned about the rifle and the work, duties, etc. in action, will tell you more. This will excuse me from all company formations - no drill, no fatigue supervision, or anything but study my new work.


As I wrote you I was just back tonight guide of the platoon. Well I was right guide two days and then Kiely was such a "dumb-bell" at platoon commanding that I went right back to platoon leader again. He didn't know a single thing about "school of the battalion" - and it'd be useless to pretend you're a platoon leader if you don't know it. I did - Jack did not - so he's out of the running.


Oh! no! The llama hood that Sis [Anna] sent me was a big, clumsy affair, ideal for sleeping but no good for outdoor wear. But maybe that trench [I thought he was writing 'trendy' but I think it's 'trench' - still not sure] hat isn't the thing! Oh! Boy! Evenings, which in my tent, I fold it up, the ear covering part, into a little house cap and wear it whenever I am sitting 'round. It keeps my bald spot warm! Ha! Ha!


Absolutely! Sure! In July I weighed 142, I think, and now I weigh 169 - so I have gained over 25 lbs. in actual avoirdupois - as Don used to say "regular honest to g-- fat"!


I have just finished "Over The Top" and "Private Peale", a week or so ago. I like "Carry On" exceptionally well. It doesn't have that "odor" of "bull" that the other two have. Personally, I think this guy Reate a four flusher! [a poker hand of little value] I have also read, lately - "Something New" and a "lousy" one: The Scarlet Car".


I shall most assuredly "look out" for Prof. Erskine when we get over there. Now - regarding the YMCA men here - we regard 'em as a bunch of draft dodgers - to d----- good to fight. I know we will truly appreciate them "over there" - but here - piffle! No good! As for attending their lectures now - most of us do not for several reasons. First of all - we get all the lectures we want purely military. We get enough sitting still in our hour and two hour lectures. We want action for recreation. Then - as for books - Co. M has an excellent library of several hundred books and all current magazines. Then - we don't need the quiet place to read and write at the YMCA! Our tents are far more quiet and orderly.


Yes there's one Columbia [University] man in this Co. He speaks French very well - and has just been sent over, to go on Military Police duty there. It seems the U.S. soldiers are very much at loss in the cities there in the matter of getting around, as they have no one to ask directions of - thus the French speaking U.S. Military Police.


As to our going abroad - say two or three months. Our schools, in training the officers, sergeants and some corporals in all specialties are all from six to 12 weeks in length. Then the men must be taught. This is easier. And more important still - equipment we lack both ordnance and quartermaster equipment in every unit - especially machine guns, auto rifles, field pieces, trench mortars, rifle grenades, bombs and pistols, rifles, bayonets - besides full equipment of clothing, bedding and canvas. Therefore - I can't see our sailing before March or April, and possibly May.


Must close and get to bed, with hopes that I hear from you very soon again, as always


With much love,

Clyde


P.S. No, I haven't a cold - or "nuthin"!  


The Lewis Machine Gun manufactured by Savage Arms Company in Utica, New York

Back to diary entries -


Jan. 10, 1918, Thurs. Cool. Fair.

Street Sgt. today. Sick all day - everyone was (?) by some food eaten yesterday - sort of ptomaine poisoning. Had very busy day - several men up on charges for not answering sick call. Went to latrine about 20 times since 2 a.m. this morning. Wrote few letters. Bed at taps.


Jan. 11, 1918, Frid., Rain & snow & sleet.

Rained most all day hard. Sleet early in a.m. Joe, Ruller, Barber & I played rummy & sawed wood most of day. Read & wrote letters & slept. Feel fine today. Slippery out.


Jan. 12, 1918, Sat., Very cold & icy.

Had inspection in tents this a.m. by Sgt. Stout - then Lt. Cramer. Then went with Stout over to R.R. [railroad?] for wood- had 100 men. In p.m. Major Sherman ordered another inspection. Went O.K. Played rummy in evening. Bed early.


Jan. 13, 1918, Sun., Extremely cold. Slippery.

Terrible cold morning. Up for reveille - rotten feed as Toombs hogged all the cereal. Moved from tent 24 to 26 today. With Corp. Bartro. Wrote mother & Anna - read and smoked. Bed very early.


Jan. 14, 1918, Mon., Fair. Cold a.m. Warmed up.

Had hike, wigwag and extended order combat exercises this a.m. Lecture this p.m. and all men went to schools. Attended Automatic rifle school at 2:30 and had 1st lesson in new French Auto rifle. Now in tent 26. Mess with squad. Pay day, Rec'd $18.00. $20.00 to CJB as allotted.


Jan. 15, 1918, Tues, Fair. Very muddy. Mild.

Long hike this a.m. then wigwag, then short drill. Co. went to (?) Co. for bath this p.m. Had auto rifle school at 2:30 then lecture at 4:30. Learned to take gun apart and assemble. No mail today. Read, studied, shaved - bed early.


Jan. 16, 1918, Wed., Fairly warm. Cloudy.

Had 2 hours close order drill, at school short time, then fell in [take place in military formation] and the Reg't was reviewed by officials from Wash. D.C. Went to P.O. and tailor shop & slept this p.m. Wrote Dad. Cloudy - some rain. Bed early.


Observations - We learned a little more about Clyde's reading habits and the additional training that is to start soon.


Next up - A letter detailing what he is learning in training.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog