[ NOTE: IF YOU ARE READING THIS SERIES FOR THR FIRST TIME, IT'S BEST TO START AT THE BEGINNING]


Starting with diary entries -


Dec. 29, 1917, Sat., Cold. Snowed some.

Had regular inspection this a.m. Went off OK. Finished 9:30. Did nothing but write letters all day. Bed 7:30. Very cold. Snow.


Dec. 30, 1917, Sun., Very cold. Snow on ground.

Up for reveille. Back to bed after breakfast. Slept until noon. Wrote letters in afternoon to Sis, G. Spoor, and Aunt Nell. Terribly cold. Read. Bed early. Cold.


Letter to Aunt Nell -


Spartanburg, So. Carolina

December 30, 1917

Sunday afternoon  


Dear Aunt Nell : -


Just a few lines to acknowledge the receipt of that Santa Claus box yesterday - each and every article of which I most surely appreciated a lot and to thank you a thousand times.


The trendy hat is a dream. All my fellow sergeants are almost green with envy over my possession of it! It's great! and Joe Toombs read "Carry On" last night and thinks it's great! I went to bed at 7:30 as it was too cold to sit up. We had a snowstorm last night - and the thermometer is near zero today. Thanks awfully for the handkerchiefs - always needing them - as laundry service is (?) slow here.


I'm jolly well astounded, however, at your remarks in your card of the 27th! So you really think that picture decent, do you? I'm surprised! You and Anna are the only ones I've heard from and both have said that they liked 'em! Did you notice, I'm getting fat? Gained about 25 pounds since coming down here!


Your remarks about my hair make me laugh! You see a few months ago I started growing it straight back. Always had it parted on the left side and laid close to my head - and now - it hasn't gotten long enough to lay flat - but partly stands straight up - when dry. It will be pretty handy in a month or so - just comb at all back - "pomp" - and no worry about a part - or anything! I thought it looked lousy now though!


Clyde's Christmas 1917 photo.


Honestly - you shouldn't consider the balance of the reading matter you send me! Why should I choose what you send me? You know that phrase about "beggars being choosers!" Well - for a fact - I don't read any stories anyhow - (?) Colliers, the Post and books, and it's a (?) small bit o' time I get to stories - I prefer the Digest & The Republic!


Have you read anything about the Russians planning to release all of their German prisoners? That would mean nearly a million German men, if I'm not mistaken! Ye Gods!


Well - I must close as it's time I got ready for retreat -


With much love / Clyde


More diary entries -


Dec. 31, 1917, Mon., Snowed. Very cold. Cloudy.

Had hike in forenoon - then muster roll [an official list of officers and men in a military unit or ship's company] - then lecture on trench warfare until noon. Good lunch. Rec'd mail from Mr. Moody & Mother. Wrote a few letters. No drill this p.m. Very short of wood today - tent cold as ice.


Jan. 1, 1918, Tues., New Year's Day. Cold. Fair.

Jim Small & I went rabbit hunting this a.m. I killed one with the Winchester Automatic - the only one I saw - and Jim shot at 3 - killing 1. Fair eats. Called on the 10th [10th Infantry]. E. A. sick in base hosp. Called on the 1st [1st Infantry]. Saw Al & Toddy & Capt. Dav(?). Cut wood this evening, wrote letters. Very cold - near zero! Bed late.


Jan. 2, 1918, Wed., Snowed. Rotten cold.

Had trench warfare lecture and 2 hour hike this a.m. Men out on wood detail this p.m. We sawed wood, banked the tent & smoked most of p.m. School tonight. Still snowing a little bit. Bed early. 


Jan. 3, 1918, Thur., Fair. Cold.

Had change of quarters today - quite busy - very small supply of wood! Co. had nothing but gas mask instruction all day. No school. Bed at taps. Very easy day.


Jan. 4, 1918, Frid., Cold. Partly cloudy.

Had long hike this forenoon - walking all the forenoon. This p.m. had mighty stiff bayonet work for an hour & a quarter. Then cleaned up for insp. tomorrow. Answ'd 5 letters rec'd today. Bed fairly early. Cold.


Jan. 5, 1918, Sat., Warmer. Thawing. Colder at night. 

Reg. insp. this a.m. Had the 4th platoon, but Kiley, reduced to Sgt. is going to plat. Sgt. Don Pelham, Ferreirra & Burril go to officer's school. Reese is new Top Sgt. MacDonnell is now Supply Sgt. Corp. Lawrence reduced. Wrote Anna & Aunt Nell. Read. Bed Early.


Letter to Aunt Nell -


Camp Wadsworth, S.C.

January 5th 1918


Dear Aunt Nell:-

Well - though you've not written me lately I'll write a few lines as it's Saturday afternoon and I can either write and smoke or sleep! Ha!Ha!


We've got some corking good [very good] stuff lately in the line of "camp literature." You know that the kettle & pan workers are called "kitchen police". Well, here is one -


T'was the night before Xmas, but all joys will cease

When you're posted the next day for kitchen police.  and -


T'was the night before Xmas when from all the shelves

Were hung all the socks that wouldn't stand by themselves. Another -


T'was the night before Xmas when I prayed - "If you would

Good Mr. Santa, leave a half cord of wood."


and a lot of other of the night before Xmas stuff.


Our French officers are very funny - one of them remarked - "I can't understand some of your Americanisms" as he showed us how to make the Huns miserable - "You say - 'the man was unhorsed, and then he is cowed!' How can that be? It is very odd, is it not? Do you persue me?" Ha!Ha!


From a witty private in our company - 

'Heaven - a place where there are no bugles. -

Hell - a place where everybody is a Top Sergeant - but you!"


Now - I'm a tobacco user, but am not such a narrow minded individual as to fail to enjoy this one - which you'll enjoy making apply to my case: -


Tobacco is a dirty weed,

I like it.


It satisfies no normal need,

I like it.


It makes you thin, it makes you lean, 

It takes the hair right off your bean,

It's the worst darn stuff I've ever seen,

I like it.


Oh! yes! have you heard our latest slang word. Instead of saying we are lost, or at loss as what to do, or say, or where to go - we say we are "bushed." We got it from the English officers - and instructors - who got the idea, I presume from the Australian troops.


I'm enclosing a tiny service flag - which you can hem up and pin to your wall or up in front of your desk, if you wish!


Also - you'll find enclosed a snapshot of my Anna and a couple of her friends. She is on the right - as I have marked. Durned if I know the one in the middle, but the one on the left is the first girl I ever knew in Peekskill - one Margaruite Lancaster. Her father owns Lancaster Emery Mines - the only ones in U.S. - but for all her fine family (?) - she's pretty common clay beside the young lady on the right - of course!


We're now having some advanced bayonet work - and I'm so lame & sore from the stuff I can hardly walk tomorrow, Believe me! I'm going to take it out on the Huns if I ever get a chance, for all this pummeling the instructors give us in the process of learning! It's the sort of thing I presume Teddy Roosevelt would like.


The personnel of my tent has changed. Sergts. Selee & Pelham have gone to the "would be" officers training school and Sergt. MacDonnell has been made supply Sergt. So Sergt. "Bill" McGuire is now in, not only Selee's place in the tent - but in his place in my affections. A soldier always has a "bunkie" you know - and a bunkie & his pal stick like brothers - regardless of how long we have known each other. Then Roger Smith, formerly clerk in the Biltmore [a hotel on 47th St. in NYC] is with us again. Roger is a Corporal - and a son of Broadway! Ha!Ha! The other new occupant will be either Jack Kiely, former Top Sergt., now a duty Sergt., or some other corporal. I had a run in with Lieut. Stout today and he took the command of the platoon away from me and made Kiely platoon sergt. and me right guide. I told him I didn't give a d--- whether I was his sergeant or a private in the "awkward squad!" So much for my temper! I'll be in the guard house yet with that "h--- with you" disposition.


I actually had rather be a private, at that. Now - if you don't like the eats, the work, etc. you're supposed to grin & bear it, as an example to your inferiors, but as a buck private - one can "crab" all he wants to.


Well - must close for now - hoping to hear from you soon -


With love, / Clyde


Observations - We got a peek into their free time good natured fun making and into Clyde's stubbornness and standing up for himself.


Up next - I'm not sure as this is as far as I've gotten and have not previewed anything. More diary entries and letters, I'm sure.


Comments

  1. So much personality revealed in these letters and entries! I wish I could see that trendy hat Aunt Nell sent or the picture of Ann with the girl from Peekskill.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog