[ NOTE: IF YOU ARE READING THIS SERIES FOR THR FIRST TIME, IT'S BEST TO START AT THE BEGINNING]


Diary entries -


Dec. 22, 1917, Sat., Fair.

Reg. insp. this a.m. Went off OK. Bill Turner & I went to town after lunch. Back at 9:30 p.m. Dined at the Wadsworth - shopped - saw 2 shows, had bath, got my photos, etc. Rec'd pkg. from Anna and box from home today. Cold night. Stuff in box from about 15 different folks. Some wonderful box. Boys!


Dec. 23, 1917, Sun., Fair.

St. Sgt. today. Very easy day. Loafed around in the tent all day - wrapped up pkgs. of photos for mailing. Wrote letters & cards to acknowledge Xmas gifts. Bed at 11:00. Cold night.


Dec. 24, 1917, Mon., Cool. Fair.

Drilled this a.m., close order, extended order & wig wag. Mailed photos after lunch. We did not drill this p.m. Rec'd briar pipe in case from Allen Hoke. Wrote a few letters, smoked & talked. Damned lonesome eve. Everybody pretty blue. Bed early.


Dec. 25, 1917, Tues., Christmas Day / My 1st Xmas away from home.

Dull, dreary day. Clouded up & began to rain. Read "T. Tembaron" [T. Tembaron by Frances Hodgson Burnett (1913)] and smoked most of day. Everyone out or asleep. Excellent dinner - but - what's food when a chap's thoughts are in far off Peekskill! No mail - pretty glum day! Bed early!


Dec. 26, 1917, Wed., Cold.

We had hike, c.o. [close order] drill & lecture on bombs & rifle grenades. Then in p.m. prep. for trenches, went into trenches about 8:30. Very cold night. Were in strong point.


Dec. 27,1917, Thurs., Cold as hell. In trenches.

Very sleepy. Cold night. Had a tough time of it. Dugout rotten - no board floors - eats pretty poor - short of men. Had less than 2 hours sleep while in trenches. Were relieved about 9:18. I was dead tired. Good supper. Bed early - about 11:15. Feet very sore.


Dec. 28, 1917, Frid., Clear & mild.

Up for reveille. Back in bed after breakfast. Slept until 1:30. Pretty dead tired - feet sore & swollen, legs tired - headache. Abed until 5 p.m. Went up for supper & school, cleaned up for inspection & ans'd a few letters. Bed late. 12 letters to answer tonight.


Co. M, 107th Infantry Sergeants

Letter to Aunt Nell -


Friday evening - 9:45 p.m.


Dear Aunt Nell -

Your letter of the 26th was here this morning [mail delivery seems faster in those days] when I came out of the trenches - and as I've been in all day - with sore feet, aching joints, rheumatism, cramps, headache and aches & pains thru the chest & shoulders - I slept until 5 p.m. then got up for supper, went to review school and since then have been with my equipment, rifle, pistol and clothes - getting them ready for inspection tomorrow morning at 8 a.m.


Your letter was "cuckoo!" So you actually enjoy my exposition on gas, gas masks, etc.? I'm actually surprised as I considered my stuff very poorly exprest!


Please let me here and now again thank you for that most welcome candy - which I'm sure I acknowledged before - also for the two pkgs. of magazines - one of which came Xmas day and the other today. You're a (?) for remembering Popular Science and Forest & Stream! And maybe I didn't enjoy them all, as did - and do all my tent mates - and as Corp. Barber & Corp. Ruller enjoy Life & the illustrated papers - just as keenly do Sgts. Toombs, Selee & MacDonald enjoy the Digest & Republic.


I'll surely make note of Prof. Erskine's name, etc. and who knows - I might meet him someday - over there! I'd surely enjoy a copy of his speech. "Democracy & Idealism!"


[John Erskine (October 5, 1879 – June 2, 1951) was an American educator and author, pianist and composer. He was an English professor at Amherst College from 1903 to 1909, followed by Columbia University from 1909 to 1937. He was the first president of the Juilliard School of Music. During his tenure at Columbia University, he formulated the General Honors Course—responsible for inspiring the influential Great Books movement. He published over 100 books, novels, criticism.

He published the essays he wrote during his WWI service about the character of America - the following info from brief internet search - Democracy and Ideals (published 1920) - Democracy and ideals.--American character.--French ideals and American.--Society as a university.--Universal training for national service.--University leadership.]


Back to Clyde's letter -

The YMCA work here seems very dull - or at least - they seem to fail in getting big crowds. There is a small percentage of the men who habitually go there to sponge writing paper and heat - while others go for the light, quiet and peaceful air - but - I'm sure when we get over there I shall watch their activities more and take advantage of the spirit of the (?) more.


We have a very good collection of books in our Company library - so I haven't noticed the YMCA libraries at all and cannot tell you about them.


Have you read "Private Peat"? [Private Peat by Harold Peat, a Canadian soldier, 1917 - WW1 memoir] It's very good! I just finished reading it! It's much like "Over the Top." [Over The Top by Arthur Guy Empey, 1917, WW1] Did you ever read "T. Tembaron"? I read it Xmas day! It's great!


As to the trendy hat - I've absolutely no idea as to what they are like! Have never seen one - but have two helmets - one a grey knitted one to wear outdoors - wore it last night - in the trenches - and couldn't do without it - also out of So. American llama wool to sleep in! Also have one pair of OD wristlets that are great. Anna sent me the llama helmet at Xmas time along with OD knitted gloves, heavy wool socks, etc. She's one sensible bit o' a girl - and believe me what she doesn't think of and do for my comfort are a mighty small bit! I'm jolly well pleased at the many ways she's shown common sense in sending me things.


Yes - we did go into the trenches for 24 hours - 26 to be exact - and had a pretty miserable time! Our dugout - back in the E line trench - north section - was lousy! No floors, no bunks, no walls, no heat, - and it was so damp, muddy - as were the trenches - that they were lined with frost - pure, white frost! The fellows suffered a lot - but more such a gritty bunch that outside of about a dozen who were sent out overcome with frost - there was not a grumble. We all smiled - cheered each other up - and swore we'd stick it out just to show everyone else we were the real goods. However - I had a lot of company in the chaps lying about today! We stuck it out though - by George!


No - I haven't a "tummy band" (?) - and (?) if I don't think they're for old men & cripples instead of tough soldier chaps - who put on two shirts when it's cold! Ha! Ha!


We were in E trench, as I said - and as it was the reserve - or strong point - all we did was to stand watch in our firing bays and keep ready for a supposed attack - when we would rush to the A trenches to support the firing line.


As I understand it - in real war - we go to the firing line for 24 hours - then back to the cover & supports - then back to the reserves - 24 hours in each. That means 3 days in the trenches - then it's generally a half day in & another half day's hike out - another days work to clean up our clothes, equipment & bodies - and there's 5 days gone. Then we drill & brush up in discipline, etc. a day & rest a day - then the week's gone - and back we go again. Sooner or later we are attacked - or go over the top to attack the hun. Perhaps our work will mean a dozen individual fights - and perhaps it'll be as quiet as the trenches here in S.C. In fact - the whole game is perhaps! Perhaps we'll live - and perhaps we won't come back from some journey over the top!


Yes - my Xmas day was a cuckoo! After breakfast I cleaned up - helped clean the tent, perched back on my cot and read T. Tembaron until 4 p.m. when we had our Xmas dinner - which was pretty decent. Then slept until six thirty and went to bet about nine. Some rotten day!


Thanks for remembering me about the apples - but seriously - I don't ever eat apples - so you can be glad you didn't send them!


I was quite pleased to hear about your Chinese friend. Though I've never seen him - I've been quite keenly interested in him for a long time! Hope you won't forget to tell me about him every time you hear anything about him.


Well - I'm very tired - and (?) sleepy - so won't write more now. Be sure and let me know how you like that (?) picture of me and just how funny it struck you - as it's pretty lousy. And write soon again - as the Lord knows our letters are our only joy here in camp.


With love / Clyde





Observations - Although lonely over Christmas, Clyde appreciated those who remembered him and his confronting the realities of war are sobering. We also confirm that Clyde was a reader.


Next up - More diary entries and at least one letter.


Comments

  1. Thanks for providing the additional info about Prof. Erskine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome. I'm pleased that this material is so meaningful to you.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog