[ NOTE: IF YOU ARE READING THIS SERIES FOR THR FIRST TIME, IT'S BEST TO START AT THE BEGINNING]




[On April 6, 1917, President Woodrow Wilson signed a resolution, ending America’s neutral stance on the ongoing global conflict – later deemed a “World War” – and formally declaring war against Imperial German Government.]


April 30, 1917 / Oswego, NY


Dear Aunt Nel -

Your letter of the 28th rec'd this morning made me very happy indeed, happy to know you had not forgotten me entirely, and as a tribute to your remembrance I am answering as promptly as ever I can.


Yes, whenever I make a change, in these uncertain days, when one day finds you smoking at your dock at camp, and 24 hours later you are on an outpost a hundred - odd miles away, you hardly know where to place a hand on your military friends, so I'll promise to let you know whenever I change.


"Do you expect to have to go to Europe?" you ask. I expect that, now that we are in this war, on democracy's side against all the things that are harmful for the peace and welfare of a democratic people, we will fight this war out, as Americans - and that means, as it always has, in a style of warfare that is unrelenting, complete and victorious! And it is practically an unquestionable fact that if troops are sent, it will be the best, and where, please tell me, "Aunt of mine" where a better regiment of Infantry can be found than New York's wonderful First? Sure, we'll go, if any troops do! And we won't hesitate, nor try to find an excuse to keep from going - we're MEN!


You see, I'm pretty proud of my reg't, - from the Colonel down to the newest rookie! And our record as soldiers, and men, gives me good reason to be! Did you ever follow the history of the 1st Inf? I'll give it to you complete some day, if you wish.


Was rather sorry I couldn't get to N.Y. while at Peekskill, but a "backwoodsman" like myself would be pretty much at loss there and I had absolutely nothing to wear but my olive drab uniform.


Yes, I remember your Chinese friend and the necessity that he marry, on his return home, makes my heart go out in pity toward the poor cuss! Has my grandmother told you how very near the tempestuous sea of matrimony your back-woods nephew came to venturing on? One Miss Nellie (Blank) nearly nailed him - she was looking for a capably practical sort of husband - one with a bank account, in preference to looks and she and "Hon. would be mother in law" so nearly nailed old "Blisters" [Clyde's nickname] that he's feeling some elated ever since he loosed himself from the net he nearly got into. It's some story and I'll have to tell you about it in detail sometime.


"The Girl" at the present time is just a pal, none of this blooming love business, but just a good little pal! She's fully enthusiastic over the out doors as me, likes all the things I do, has the same fancies, hobbies, ideals and recreations that I have and is so nearing double in all that sort of thing that we are just "pals" - 'ats all! She's pretty nice, though, and, if I am at El Refugio, this summer, Grandma will be there and so'll the girl, and you can meet her - I want you too. And say, she's got a sort of what you call it? -a doggoned pretty shade of red hair! That one shade, you know, that's really attractive - and she's Irish - name's Kelly - first name Anna - etc. But they are mere details - it is her woodcraft enthusiasm that makes us good friends - and I know you'll like her.


No, I haven't given up on the gov't work entirely. Of course I don't have time to do everything I otherwise could, but I'm being held in my rank, am getting my pay, and am doing all I can, which, in view of my military service, is perfectly satisfactory with the chief.


Yes, you bet I rec'd the box of candy at Easter time! Many thanks! I rec'd the box, and all the fellows the contents. But I'll thank you very much for sending it for me - and the squad!


As to my work now, I only came a week ago. I took Q.M. Sgt. Smith's place and am in charge of an outpost. I have all responsibility and authority at post #4, which is a reservoir, supplying Oswego with drinking water, about 2 miles south of the city. I go out on the 6:20 train at night, see that the guard of the day is relieved, take the day report, post the roster of the night guard, make out my night report, inspect all rifles and the guard, then smoke [Clyde smoked a pipe] and read until I turn in. I generally go out around the lines once every night at some unexpected hour to see that every man is performing his duty, and can sleep practically all night. Come in about 7 in the morning and through the day write letters, personal friend letters, business letters & official work, having all the day to myself. We have our meals at a good restaurant. You see I am pretty lucky as I don't have to walk post and am acting as a corporal. Have refused to be promoted as Private sounds good & carefree to me, but in the present emergency, am acting, and it's pretty soft.


Now be sure and write me once in a while, and I'll answer quite promptly.


Everyone at home is well, or at least were when I left. Grandma Spoor is making great plans on a month or so with me at El Refugio and I hope I can be there -BUT-


Well, will close, for this time / with best regards / Clyde


address -

Priv C. G. B.

Co. M 1st Inf., N.G.N.Y.

Oswego, NY

c/o State Armory


P.S. We are quartered here in the Oswego Armory. It is a dandy building and all in all we have it pretty luxurious, for men used to tenting in the mountains in winter. 



NEXT UP for posting on 5/1/22 - May 4th letter and Clyde's exposing his immaturity, but I have to remind myself he's only 21.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog