NOTE: IF YOU ARE READING THIS SERIES FOR THR FIRST TIME, IT'S BEST TO START AT THE BEGINNING]


Scan of Clyde's personal stationery

April 9, 1917 / El Refugio


Dear Aunt Nel -
As I am home on a five day furlough, and have time to write you a few lines, thought I would do so, as, when I return to my company, I shall again find myself very busy.

I left Peekskill Thursday, and return Tuesday. Don't you think me rather fortunate in getting so long a furlough? Nearly everyone in my company has been getting 48 hour furloughs and there is, naturally, considerable envy on the part of the other fellows. But, you see, I left so suddenly & unexpectedly that my affairs were in no condition to drop, so Lieut. Wightman gave me the 5 day L.O.A. to straighten things up, so, of course, there's no telling when I can get home again.

Clyde's 5 day LOA paper




I have seen Dad & Mother, Claude, Doris and Delia, Grandma Spoor, Uncle Les, Uncle Elmer & family, and dozens of friends of Mohawk, Oneonta, Mt. Vision, Hartwick, etc., etc.

You should see El Refugio now. I have absolutely every bit of property I own there now. All my civilian clothes, guns, etc., etc., absolutely everything is there and the place certainly would pass inspection.

I have had a new dock built and now, if I am here this summer, the launch - the "JUANITA" - and the little brown boat will float alongside a nice respectable (a mighty substantial one too) dock and the first impression of El Refugio to a newcomer from lakeward will be fitting with the impressions the place itself can give, once one has come ashore. I sure am enthusiastic over it - and I've news for you - if I am out of military service some time, if it's summer or autumn grandma Spoor is coming to stay with me and the other guest, a pretty fine little sportsman, who is as crazy about woodcraft as me, will be there too and you just must be there to complete our family. Grandma is enthusiastic over the having you there, she has already invited this outdoor friend of mine and I know you too will like her as she surely is somewhat - well a few thousand times - different than any other girl you ever saw. Fish, hunt, study birds, flowers, trees, and everything I like to do - she too - is crazy about - so you see I have excellent reasons for hoping I can spend some of the summer there!

As  far as the military, everything is going OK. I am so brave, so tough and healthy that I can stand any old things from loafing around camp to hiking or any kind of line service.

Doris and Delia want me to tell you can look for a pkg. of maple sugar in a few days. Dad is making it, right on the farm this year, so you can expect some real genuine maple sugar. I gave him your address.

Grandma has been up home while I was there and have had quite a visit from her.

What do you think of the war situation? Don't you think President Wilson is conducting himself as I imagine - well Lincoln and McKinley would have done? We as Americans, and us in the military especially, can feel that if we are plunged into war, it is reasonably necessary, and inevitable, be it Woodrow Wilson or Lincoln. My hand is at "salute" to our president!

Well, I must close. I hope you will write me soon. Address me - Co. M 1st Inf. N.G. N.Y. Peekskill, NY.

With love / Clyde








This is a photo of the Company Street at Camp Whitman in Dutchess County, NY where Clyde was stationed at some point before transferring to the State Camp at Peekskill. There is no correspondence from this site, but it is relevant to his NYNG 1st Infantry, Company G service



My observations - Clyde seems fairly hopeful that he'll be enjoying his lakeside cabin the coming summer and it sounds like he has a 'special' friend.  


NEXT UP- Clyde writes from Oswego, NY where his unit is guarding the city reservoir and he contemplates overseas service now that Pres. Wilson has declared war against the Imperial German Government. We are introduced to Anna. Also, I have been transcribing the letters and diary entries quicker than I had anticipated, so posts will be twice per week (Sundays and Wednesdays) beginning this week.

Comments

  1. These are great letters. So revealing of his hopes and dreams. Thanks for transcribing them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, and as you will see, at least over the short run, that it only gets better - at least during his early days after being 'federalized.'

      Delete
  2. On the brink of war, what a dramatic and terrifying time!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog